[swift-evolution] [Review #2] SE-0161: Smart KeyPaths: Better Key-Value Coding for Swift

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Sun Apr 9 12:36:00 CDT 2017

-1:
Although prefix "\" is imho the nicest variation that has been officially suggested for this feature (I still like infix ":" better; maybe I've been using classic MacOS to long), there is no general agreement, and many people that voted "+1" did so despite preferring a different syntax, just because they want to have the feature asap.

But haste is a bad counsellor, and if we learned anything from the disaster of "new private", we shouldn't rush and constitute how an obviously important (or at least popular) feature should look like without taking into account the big picture:
KeyPaths are at least entwined with method references and reflection, so until we have a concrete idea of those ties, no narrow proposal should be implemented*.

- Tino

* preliminary acceptance with delayed implementation would be fine for me — I just don't want to paint ourselves into a corner...