[swift-evolution] [Review #2] SE-0161: Smart KeyPaths: Better Key-Value Coding for Swift

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Fri Apr 7 14:01:27 CDT 2017

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 2:50 PM, Joe Groff <jgroff at apple.com> wrote:

>>> True, but there are some benefits to requiring a subscript/property rather than an arbitrary closure, particularly that it gives the operation a stable identity and structure so the key path can still be equated/hashed and (eventually) iterated through.
>>
>> Right, I think if you add a method to the chain, the result definitely has to be a function rather than a key path.  The idea is that you basically decompose:
>>
>> \Base.A.B.C
>>
>> into
>> ([inout]? Base, parameters(A)..., parameters(B)..., parameters(C)...) -> result(C)
>>
>> except that if all of the components A, B, and C are just properties or applied subscripts you can make it a KeyPath<Base,C> instead, which can then contextually devolve into a function.
>
> It seems to me that method references (non-mutating ones, at least) could still be treated as read-only key path components. There's not much more than syntax as a difference between a nonmutating method and get-only property or subscript. The method decl is still something we can ascribe identity to.

That's true.  My concern with ascribing identity to methods is that we have a number of features around methods — overloading, default arguments, various kinds of polymorphism — that make the exact choice of declaration somewhat imprecise.  Should it be a different key path if we pick a protocol requirement vs. a concrete method that satisfies it?  I suppose we have that specific problem with properties and subscripts as well, though.

John.