[swift-evolution] [Returned for revision] SE-0161: Smart KeyPaths: Better Key-Value Coding for Swift

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Thu Apr 6 16:22:49 CDT 2017

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 2:15 PM, Matthew Johnson <matthew at anandabits.com> wrote:

>>> If you're specializing all the way down, any sort of boxing should be possible to eliminate as well.
>>>
>>> If you mean in unspecialized code, well, I'm not entirely sure what representation Joe is using, but I would assume that the fast path — where a key path doesn't capture anything — does not require any allocation.  In that sense, there's a strong parallel with how we represent functions: yes, avoiding an extra allocation would be nice, but if you're willing to accept an occasional allocation in more complex cases, there are also a lot of benefits from being able to always give the type a concrete, fixed-size representation.
>>
>> Yeah, I've set up the implementation so that literal key paths get emitted as global objects that don't need allocation, and shouldn't need refcounting once the runtime gains support for inert objects. I also set up the SIL representation for these in a way that we'll eventually be able to do high-level optimization, so that when we see a literal key path applied to a concrete base, we can lower the key path application into direct projections on the base value. Since everything is implemented using opaque classes now, there isn't much opportunity for specialization, but I think high-level optimizations are probably a better fit for the common cases.
>
> If I understand this correctly the storage for key path values that begin as a literal would be a non-refcounted word after inert object support is included in the runtime.  Is that correct?

The value representation will a pointer, the same as any class type, though we can avoid dynamically allocating space for it if it isn't parameterized at all. Information about the key path's contents has to live in the process somewhere.

> Can you elaborate on the high-level optimizations you have in mind?

If you end up with 'x[keyPath: \.y]', whether directly or by constant propagation, the compiler ought to be able to optimize that down to 'x.y'.

> Also, you said "Since everything is implemented using opaque classes now, there isn't much opportunity for specialization”.  Does that mean the implementation may change in the future in a way that might allow for more opportunity for specialization?

A design using generalized existentials would be a lot more expressive and probably be able to exercise the compiler's generic optimization infrastructure better.

-Joe