[swift-evolution] Type-based ‘private’ access within a file

Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky nevin.brackettrozinsky at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 13:35:09 CDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Jordan Rose via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> We accepted SE-0025, though I wish we hadn't; we named the two levels
> "private" and "fileprivate", though I wish we hadn't; and now there is lots
> of existing code relying on that, and it would be mean and capricious to
> force people to change that code when they migrated to Swift 4. I don't
> like where we ended up but Swift does not exist in a vacuum.

I hardly think it is “mean” or “capricious” to provide a *fully automated
migrator* to make the keywords better.

The discussion of SE-0159 reached a near-consensus that the access levels
should be spelled “private” and “scoped”.

I was shocked and dismayed that the core team did anything other than
enthusiastically adopt that resolution.

Nevin