[swift-evolution] [Review #2] SE-0161: Smart KeyPaths: Better Key-Value Coding for Swift

Ricardo Parada rparada at mac.com
Thu Apr 6 10:59:37 CDT 2017

The escape character is already being used in String interpolation, i.e. \(foo). Also, escaping special characters in string literals, i.e. \t is tab, \n is a newline character, etc.  The single quote does not appear to be in use.  I believe it's not being used for string literals nor character literals:

ERROR at line 6, col 21: single-quoted string literal found, use '"'
let someCharacter = 'a'
                    ^~~
                    "a"

Based on this, I don't think the use of single quote is a bad idea for Swift's smart key paths, IMHO.

But if the core team decides is reserved for something else, the escape character would be fine with me.  But I do think the single quote would be slightly superior to the escape character.