[swift-evolution] [Returned for revision] SE-0161: Smart KeyPaths: Better Key-Value Coding for Swift

Colin Barrett colin at springsandstruts.com
Wed Apr 5 18:55:16 CDT 2017

Is the choice of backslash up for review? I think another operator, perhaps
backtick (`), would work better. My concern is with the \() escaping syntax
within strings, which has the opposite behavior wrt. execution time:

let untrue = "2 + 2 = \((5, print("inside")).0)"
print("outside")
print(untrue)
// output:
// "inside"
// "outside"

If the purpose of the backslash syntax is to make the delayed execution
time clear, I don't believe it achieves that goal.

Love the proposal otherwise, and I for sure see the logic in making
Person.instanceMethod "look different" from Person.classOrStaticProperty.

-Colin