[swift-evolution] Type-based ‘private’ access within a file

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Tue Apr 4 20:45:15 CDT 2017

> On Apr 4, 2017, at 12:30 PM, David Hart via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
>> And it throws out a major use-case of scope-based access, which is to ensure that invariants are only touched in specific places.
>
> Is still retains most use-cases that private procured. The only capability that is not expressible in this model is to hide private members in a declaration or extension from other declarations/extensions of the same type. But it still allows hiding the member from other types in the same file, which is the most important aspect of private IMHO.

Well, therein lies the rub—MHO is that it's more useful to be able to hide one part of a type from other parts; YHO is that it's more useful to be able to hide one type from other types. There is no obvious reason why MHO is better or worse than YHO; there's no knock-out argument or example that produces an "a-ha!" moment. It's just a zero-sum argument about convenience, mired so deeply in personal coding styles that I'm not convinced we can ever satisfy everyone.

That's why I think at this point that we should just drop it. Access control is a tar pit; let's not drown in it.

	Once I get all this agreed upon, I'll pick up a pen
	And introduce a motion never to discuss this again

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies