[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Foundation Swift Archival & Serialization

Itai Ferber iferber at apple.com
Tue Apr 4 16:53:07 CDT 2017

Hi Zach,

Thanks for your comments!
The type is called "unkeyed", but I assume "nonkeyed" was a typo and
that's what you meant. As far as the phrasing of "ordered" and
"sequential", both sound good, but:

1. The symmetry between "keyed" and "unkeyed" is helpful in creating
opposition between types of encoding (and especially so in comparison to
"single value", which is the odd man out — and you'd extremely rarely
need to interact with it)
2. Given something that's "x" or "not x", you'd generally gravitate
toward the thing with the more positive phrasing. As you mention, we
really want to encourage keyed containers and diminish the use of
unkeyed containers unless truly necessary, because they're fragile. The
problem is, it's much easier to use the unkeyed containers —
especially accidentally as a novice, since they're much simpler API —
and I think "ordered" and "sequential" don't go far enough to detract
from their usage.

They sound good, and in fact, too good, and we find that more negative
phrasing is helpful.

— Itai