[swift-evolution] Make class and struct members private by default / Type-Based access

Ted F.A. van Gaalen tedvgiosdev at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 08:07:15 CDT 2017

Hi Xiaodi,

that currently all members of a class or struct are exposed by default by having
a default scope of  ‘internal’  and are therefore accessible in the entire module
is imho very bad unstructured programming practice.

In no other OOP language it is implemented
that way..

from this Swift blog:
https://developer.apple.com/swift/blog/?id=5 <https://developer.apple.com/swift/blog/?id=5>

i quote from this blog:

"By default, all entities have  internal access.
This allows application developers to largely ignore access control,
and most Swift code already written will continue to work without change."

Whoever wrote this, imho it is bad: especially this part:
"This allows application developers to largely ignore access control”

To say the least, this not really a very well thought over sentence,
which appears to me something like:
“Hey yeah, it’s ok, just start coding like a blind horse,
don’t worry about the details now. Care about it later. ”

This is certainly not my idea of what is described as “Progressive Disclosure”
and encourages bad and unstructured programming. Students learn
undesirable habits which, as with any habit, are hard to get rid off and
can carry on throughout a large part of their career.

So, in this perspective, what is related to “Progressive Disclosure” should
be viewed with a grain of salt and due to the complexity of Swift its relevancy
is limited and should be approached with caution.

True, in Swift , one can write in a very simple way, but this apparent triviality is
deceiving... To make professional applications with Swift (or for that
matter in any other serious  programming language ) one should only
start making real apps equipped with a thorough understanding of the overall
language structure, its philosophy and environment, rather  sooner than later.

That ’s exactly where tutorials, courses, books, playgrounds etc. are meant for!
There is a lot of very good material available, so there is really no obstacle
to learn these fundamentals of the Swift language quite well before embarking
on creating professional Swift apps.

Of course, one cannot (should not) define anything at all without knowing
about scope, access modifiers!  Luckily, compared to other aspects of PLs,
understanding scope of variables is almost trivial. Provided of course that
the scope mechanism is natural and orthogonal, unfortunately this is
not the case in Swift,.

Also in Swift there should be lexical scope only, I think,  as in almost any other
procedural / OOP programming language. Swift is one of them.
This also eliminates the necessity of the keywords “private” and “fileprivate”
and makes the scope context easy to conceive , especially for
beginning programmers.

But it seems to be too late now to correct this deficiency (imho) in Swift I guess..

Concerning your *struct* example:
with correct lexical scope, it should then be written like this:

struct PointOfView
{
	public let x: Int         // or any other applicable access modifier
         public let y: Int

        public func distanceToPoint( p: PointOfView) -> Double    {. . .}

        let pr: Int                   // private by default, not available outside this struct.
        func Foo() { . . .}      //  private function
}

As written before, for a class, one can add
‘protected’  items like so:

     protected var foo:Double   // available to descendants (subclasses)

Kind Regards from a sunny www.speyer.de
TedvG
www.tedvg.com