[swift-evolution] Type-based ‘private’ access within a file

BJ Homer bjhomer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 08:33:15 CDT 2017

The proposed relaxation to 'private' is indeed small, and it makes Swift 3's "private" a more acceptable "soft default" for restricted access, but it also removes the ability of Swift to define a truly scoped access control, which some developers have found highly useful.

I would prefer accepting this proposal over doing nothing, as I think "private" is broken right now as a soft default, which is unfortunate for a language that will be used by so many new programmers. But I think renaming access controls without a large migration, as I suggested earlier, would be better.

-BJ