[swift-evolution] Type-based ‘private’ access within a file

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 17:51:46 CDT 2017

On 04.04.2017 0:59, Brent Royal-Gordon wrote:
>> On Apr 3, 2017, at 2:54 PM, Vladimir.S via swift-evolution
>> <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Moreover, I think that we need *additional* access level(to current
>> 'private'), which will mean 'can be accessed from extensions and subtypes
>> in the same *module*' to be able to split type's conformances to number
>> of files and don't make implementation details accessible&visible for
>> whole module. (there was 'extensible' modifier discussed previously).
>
> If we wanted to do this, I think we'd want a `protected` modifier that was
> orthogonal to `internal` and `private` (which would probably revert to
> `fileprivate` semantics):

I don't think so, IMO it seems like over-complicated structure of access
levels. I believe it is a required minimum to have current 'private' and
something similar scope(type)-based but with wider scope. (in addition to
public/internal/fileprivate). IMO this will resolve major percent of
problems raised in the thread.