[swift-evolution] Type-based ‘private’ access within a file

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 16:54:29 CDT 2017

On 03.04.2017 23:13, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution wrote:

>> On Apr 3, 2017, at 2:55 PM, Daniel Duan via swift-evolution
>> <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> I’m concerned that we will have access control changes in a future
>> version yet again, when light-weight modules, or other type of enforced
>> namespace is introduced. Does the core team have any foresight on how
>> this change would interact with such things? I had the same concern for
>> SE-0159 as well.
>>
>> There’s a implicit drawback to all access control changes that
>> migrator/fix-its cannot fix: we organize our code with tools in the
>> language. Some colleague of mine had came up with schemes that combines
>> file scope and Swift 3 `private` to hide details among separate protocol
>> extensions, for example. Code ends up in certain places for a reason and
>> updating access control invalidate those reasons.
>>
>> I hesitate to support any changes until we have some ideas for what
>> “ultimate glory” looks like.
>
> +1.
>
> If we must make a change in Swift 4, the only change I can support for
> Swift 4 is renaming the existing access levels.  That would cause some
> churn but can be automated and has no semantic impact.  I feel strongly
> that the semantics of access control should remain the same until
> submodules and access control can be considered together as part of the
> theme of a larger Swift release.  I believe the churn caused by continuing
> to poke at the semantics of access control without addressing the broader
> issues would be a mistake that would cause further frustration in the
> community.
>
> As others have already pointed out, code has been developed and organized
> with the new scoped access model in mind.  I think the frustration over a
> semantically neutral, fully automated migration to new names would be
> pretty minimal and certainly much less than the frustration over the
> suggested semantic change.
>
> Renaming would restore the original intent of SE-0025 which was to leave
> private alone and introduce a new name for scoped access.  One of the big
> reasons that approach was rejected is that we did not have consensus on
> what to call it.  Now that we seem to have reached consensus about what the
> name should be if it is changed it is reasonable to correct the mistake
> that was made in Swift 3.
>
> Finally, I am not at all convinced that type-based private is the right
> semantics.  I think the strictly hierarchical foundation of the existing
> access levels is a much stronger design.  The suggested proposal for a
> same-file type-based approach has already resulted in requests for
> expanding that model to the whole module.  Types and scopes are orthogonal
> dimensions.  If we want to consider a hybrid model for access control I
> think it is best not to rush.  We should take our time and consider it
> properly in the future.

Fully support Matthew's opinion.

Moreover, I think that we need *additional* access level(to current
'private'), which will mean 'can be accessed from extensions and subtypes
in the same *module*' to be able to split type's conformances to number of
files and don't make implementation details accessible&visible for whole
module. (there was 'extensible' modifier discussed previously).

Current 'private' has its value to limit access to definition scope, the
most restrictive level. And we need a pair for it - that will extend the
allowed scope to "extensions and subtypes".

So, IMO, in this case we have clear model: public/internal/private as
file-based "basic" access levels, and scoped/extensible as scope based
"advanced" access levels. One teaches basic access levels and can use them,
and then can read about "advanced" access levels.