[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Foundation Swift Archival & Serialization

Itai Ferber iferber at apple.com
Mon Apr 3 15:31:47 CDT 2017

Hi everyone,

With feedback from swift-evolution and additional internal review, we've pushed updates to this proposal, and to the Swift Encoders <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/pull/640> proposal.
In the interest of not blowing up mail clients with the full HTML again, I'll simply be linking to the swift-evolution PR here <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/pull/639>, as well as the specific diff <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/pull/639/commits/d619eef9166f8b45ffac152d06376cbdab536241> of what's changed.

At a high level:

The Codable protocol has been split up into Encodable and Decodable
String keys on CodingKey are no longer optional
KeyedEncodingContainer has become KeyedEncodingContainerProtocol, with a concrete type-erased KeyedEncodingContainer struct to hold it
Array responsibilities have been removed from KeyedEncodingContainer, and have been added to a new UnkeyedEncodingContainer type
codingKeyContext has been renamed codingPath
There are some specific changes inline — I know it might be a bit of a pain, but let's keep discussion here on the mailing list instead of on GitHub.
We'll be looking to start the official review process very soon, so we're interested in any additional feedback.

Thanks!

— Itai