[swift-evolution] Type-based ‘private’ access within a file

Daniel Duan daniel at duan.org
Mon Apr 3 14:55:21 CDT 2017

I’m concerned that we will have access control changes in a future version yet again, when light-weight modules, or other type of enforced namespace is introduced. Does the core team have any foresight on how this change would interact with such things? I had the same concern for SE-0159 as well.

There’s a implicit drawback to all access control changes that migrator/fix-its cannot fix: we organize our code with tools in the language. Some colleague of mine had came up with schemes that combines file scope and Swift 3 `private` to hide details among separate protocol extensions, for example. Code ends up in certain places for a reason and updating access control invalidate those reasons.

I hesitate to support any changes until we have some ideas for what “ultimate glory” looks like.