[swift-evolution] multi-line string literals.

Paweł Wojtkowiak neframair at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 13:44:30 CDT 2017

I think that there's nothing wrong with two "tools" for the same task in this case. Multiline strings look better in the code and are easier to read and can serve many purposes. By reading different texts from swift dev team I feel like this is something the language was designed with in mind. They're also easier to type and it needn't neccessarily be a string presented to the user.

Lets say I want a simple json literal for testing purposes - reading from a file takes much more effort comparing to inserting it directly in the code. Taking out every new line character makes it hard to read, and inserting quotes and pluses every line both needs extra effort and also decreases readability. Adding it as a multiline string would make a perfect solution for this to me.

There are so many other cases where this could be useful too. I like how python has the """ and I think this would be a good direction to go, although this is true that python uses indentation in a different way, so I think backslashes at the end of each line would be a nice idea - this is still better than concatenating each line with " and +, and would have the least readability impact. Also, it could be treated as a literal and be evaluated at compile time.