[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0161: Smart KeyPaths: Better Key-Value Coding for Swift

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Sat Apr 1 13:41:55 CDT 2017

-1 (there has always somebody who disagrees ;-)

Yes, KeyPaths are nice, solve a problem that's probably significant, and type safety is very important in Swift… but I don't think it's that urgent to have this feature now:
Maybe there are some secret plans that depend on smart KeyPaths, but from my point of view, there are other things that should have higher priority.

Even if the Swift team had an empty task-list, I think it would be better not to rush here, and rather introduce key paths later as an aspect of a bigger picture:
Afaics, introspection and metaprogramming can't be considered fully designed, and I'd prefer key paths to be derived naturally from those topics, instead of pushing them now without knowing which direction the language will take.