[swift-evolution] [Draft] Dictionary & Set Enhancements

Zach Waldowski zach at waldowski.me
Fri Mar 31 13:52:20 CDT 2017

Snipped quoted proposal so as to not break the mailing list… By and
large, I'm in favor. I like the potential for bringing up Dictionary and
Set up to the implementation quality of Array and String.

I don't think `init(merging:resolvingCollisionsWith:)` et al hold their
weight for inclusion in the language, unless some notable optimization
opportunity can be surfaced out of it. Users frustrated at the lack of a
`merge` in Swift want it to be opinionated and "just do the right
thing," i.e., the same way as whatever other language they most recently
used. A properly annotated and indented-to-be-beautiful use of the closure-
based version will take up the same amount of code as doing the merge by
hand with your custom condition.

Sincerely,

  Zachary Waldowski

  zach at waldowski.me