[swift-evolution] Smart KeyPaths

Michael J LeHew Jr lehewjr at apple.com
Wed Mar 29 19:26:57 CDT 2017

> On Mar 29, 2017, at 5:12 PM, James Berry <jberry at rogueorbit.com> wrote:
>
>> Referencing Key Paths
>>
>> Forming a KeyPath borrows from the same syntax added in Swift 3 to confirm the existence of a given key path, only now producing concrete values instead of Strings. Optionals are handled via optional-chaining. Multiply dotted expressions are allowed as well, and work just as if they were composed via the appending methods on KeyPath.
>>
>> There is no change or interaction with the #keyPath() syntax introduced in Swift 3. #keyPath(Person.bestFriend.name) will still produce a String, whereas #keyPath(Person, .bestFriend.name) will produce a KeyPath<Person, String>.
>
> This distinction seems arbitrary and confusing. The user is supposed tor remember that the #keyPath(Person.bestFriend.name) form produces a string while the #keyPath(Person, .bestFriend.name) form produces a key path object? I don’t think we’re advancing here. What would be the effect if just the former was valid, and (always/now) produced a keypath object that was convertible to string? How bad would the breakage be?

The syntax subtleties here are unfortunate.

 An idea that we discussed was to be able to tell when a #keyPath wants to be considered as a string and either implicitly or having some affordance for doing so.   Back then this was harder because we had #keyPaths that could not be represented as a string (an earlier draft had keyPaths that could compose with closures; which while powerful, weren't really key paths any more. That idea was removed from the proposal we shared as they are intrinsically opposed to being able to serializing/deserialize key paths).

Given that we don't support those kinds of key paths, nor are we really considering adding them back thanks to our desire to support serializing key paths to file in the future, this is a very reasonable idea I think.