[swift-evolution] Disallowing unreachable code

Joshua Alvarado alvaradojoshua0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 12:28:43 CDT 2017

This is more of a developer practice that a team implements than an actual
Swift/Xcode language feature. Also, I believe (not 100% sure) this wouldn't
work for functions/properties that are dynamically dispatched. The compiler
wouldn't know if the function will be called until runtime.

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Charlie Monroe via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> I'm personally -1 on this.
>
> I find it useful from time to time when debugging certain features -
> instead of commenting some part of code (and potentially forgetting to
> uncomment it), I wrap it in an "if false" statement - while I get a warning
> about the code not being reachable (or the if statement always evaluating
> to false), I can test your code and then go by the warnings and remove the
> "if false" statements.
>
> Similarly returning earlier. The warning is convenient as it warns you to
> review that part before releasing the code to the public.
>
> If we take into account the argument that people commonly ignore compiler
> warnings, we should enable "treat warnings as errors" by default - which
> I'm sure is not the correct way to go.
>

> > On Mar 24, 2017, at 11:54 PM, Peter Dillinger via swift-evolution <
> swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> >
> > I don't see anything directly relevant to this in the archives, and I
> haven't prepared a detailed proposal.  But I'm raising the general idea
> because I recently criticized Swift 3 for allowing unreachable code in a
> blog post: https://blogs.synopsys.com/software-integrity/2017/03/24/
> swift-programming-language-design-part-2/ (search for "unreachable
> code").  And I want you to have every opportunity to rectify this, even
> though I'm in the business of finding defects the compiler doesn't.  :)
> >
> > Part of my argument is that people commonly ignore compiler warnings.
> We see lots of defective code that would be (or is) caught by compiler
> warnings but people don't pay attention.
> >
> > If you would like to see more defect examples from open-source software
> (other languages for the moment), I am able to dig up such things.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > Peter Dillinger, Ph.D.
> > Software Engineering Manager, Coverity Analysis, Software Integrity
> Group | Synopsys
> > www.synopsys.com/software

Joshua Alvarado
alvaradojoshua0 at gmail.com