[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0159: Fix Private Access Levels

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Sun Mar 26 23:21:18 CDT 2017

I wonder if there is a different type of UI solution which might help people who hate dividing things up into lots of small files.

I find the way that I work is to make a super large file while I work, and then break it down into smaller files once the main design is in place and has settled.  I find one file easier while things are in flux, but many (well grouped) small files easier for reference and maintenance.

If you have used programs like Ulysses or Scrivener, they allow you to select multiple sections/files and then those sections show one after another in the editing UI with a divider between them.

I know we don’t have control over Xcode here, but we could certainly recommend such a feature to those who do.  Basically, if you select a group (or multiple files), it would show the contents of each file placed in order so you could edit across them.

Would something like that help?  (I am mainly trying to get a sense of the underlying goals of those on both sides of this argument).

Thanks,
Jon