[swift-evolution] Disallowing many expressions with unused result (@error_unused_result?)

Peter Dillinger Peter.Dillinger at synopsys.com
Sun Mar 26 22:00:30 CDT 2017

The first word of my subject is “disallowing” not “warning.”  And I wrote, and you quoted, the following about compiler warnings:

>> Part of my argument is that people commonly ignore compiler warnings.  We see lots of defective
>> code that would be (or is) caught by compiler warnings but people don't pay attention.

I'm not sure what your point was, but I consider the fact that the compiler already has a proof-of-concept implementation of my proposal as a positive, risk- and expense-reducing aspect of the proposal.

--
Peter Dillinger, Ph.D.
Software Engineering Manager, Coverity Analysis, Software Integrity Group | Synopsys