[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0159: Fix Private Access Levels

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 08:06:50 CDT 2017

On 24.03.2017 11:47, Jonathan Hull via swift-evolution wrote:
> Nevin had a fantastic proposal for submodules which changed private to mean
> “private to the submodule”, where each file was implicitly a submodule
> unless you declared otherwise.  Simple and elegant.

Currently I don't see how submodules can eliminate the needs of
'scoped'(current 'private') access level. Even in submodule (even if
submodule will be a "namespace" line feature like "submodule Name{..}" and
we can have number of such declarations in the same file) - 'scoped' access
is valuable even for single type declaration. Probably I don't understand
something.

But as for fileprivate - it is really logically to have it named 'private'
and it can naturally be used in submodules as "private to submodule" just
like "private to file" currently.

So I do think the right move currently is to rename fileprivate->private,
private->scoped and then, when(if!) we have submodules - we can change
something.
Rename will remove the huge confusion users(especially novice) have with
'fileprivate' vs 'private'; experience shows that *actually* programmers
use 'fileprivate' a lot and this is some kind of Swift/iOs programming
style, and fileprivate is awkward keyword, and many(all? ;-)  just want
'private' means "in this file".
Also novice programmer can know just about 'public', 'internal' and
'private' - these three logically united access modifiers,all are
file-scoped, but more experienced programmer has no problems teach what
'scoped' means and why one want to use it.