[swift-evolution] Proposed amendment to SE-0138: Normalize UnsafeRawBufferPointer Slices

Karl Wagner razielim at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 21:22:31 CDT 2017

The convenience initialiser should exist on all of the unsafe buffers, not just the raw (untyped) ones.

I’ve run in to this problem a few times, and I think it would get worse if we adopted a ContiguouslyStored protocol to formalise accessing the raw-pointers of generic collections. It would mean that you couldn’t write code that works with UnsafeRawBufferPointer/Data/DispatchData generically, or with UnsafeBufferPointer<T>/Array<T>.

Also, there seem to be some implicit conversions for the unsafe-pointer types, but UMBP -> UBP requires an awkward initialiser. We should introduce an implicit conversion for that case or add an “immutable” computed property to UMBP.

And while we’re on the subject, memory allocation/deallocation functions are weirdly dispersed. In order to allocate an UnsafeMutableBufferPointer<T>, for instance, you have to do:

var buffer: UnsafeMutableBufferPointer<T>
init(length: Int) {
  let b  = UnsafeMutablePointer<T>.allocate(capacity: length)
  buffer = UnsafeMutableBufferPointer(start: b, count: length)
}

Also, the deallocate API feels weird - since it deallocates n items from the head of the pointer, it is a consuming operation and I feel like it should return a new pointer (with @discardableResult). Once you’ve deallocated a memory address, you can never re-allocate that specific location so there is no reason to know about it any more.

- Karl