[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0159: Fix Private Access Levels

Drew Crawford drew at sealedabstract.com
Thu Mar 23 15:49:15 CDT 2017

I'm curious to hear what issue your client had with you using many frameworks that static linking doesn't solve.

The issue here is the number of frameworks that the user drags and drops into Xcode.  Most libraries ship as a single framework, see this page for a typical example of what the installation documentation for this process generally looks like.

From a user POV, there is no difference between dragging 4 frameworks and dragging 4 .a libraries.  Actually, the .a case is worse in Swift because in addition to object code (.a) we have .swiftmodule, .swiftdoc, and .modulemap.  So that's a lot of files to drag.

I have been involved in generating solutions for this problem in other areas (see the atbin standard for example) but none of them are supported by Xcode.

Finally, static linking has nothing to do with visibility or the problems of exposing these frameworks as public API.

I don't see why submodules could not profit from WMO: the module is still compiled all together. Submodules are simply a scoping/hiding mechanism.

Then you will be surprised to hear that this is a subject of some debate.  Relevant thread.

That looks like a very corner case. I haven't yet found myself in the case where I needed multiple versions of a code base in a same product (binary, framework, application)

There are 253 pages of search results for "duplicate symbol" on StackOverflow.  Compare with 48 pages on fileprivate.  It is quite clear which is the more complicated feature.

It would be very strange to me if they were independent libraries: what would different them from modules then?

The organization of object code on the filesystem does not necessarily have any relationship to "submodules the philosophical construct".

But at the same time, we can't write and review proposals with no regard for future proposals coming down the road or we end up with a clunky language.

I'm not aware of evidence any submodule proposal is actually coming.  For example here is the only authoritative statement of the feature, "slated" for Swift 1.0 😆, a giant warning that we do not even have a design, and the doc mostly consists of questions for how the feature should work.

A scoped access modifier on the other hand is a feature that was designed, is implemented, and is now widely used. What you are suggesting is we should throw it away because at any moment a bird could appear in the bush.

But we've waited for that bird for 3 releases.  Rather, if that bird were to appear, we could then study whether or not it solves all the problems of the bird in our hand, or whether it does not.  But that hypothetical is quite far from the present circumstance.