[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0159: Fix Private Access Levels

Andrey Fidrya af at zabiyaka.com
Thu Mar 23 10:51:38 CDT 2017

> On 23 Mar 2017, at 05:18, Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> I strongly prefer that “private” should mean “visible in the current file”.
> I am ambivalent between eliminating the scoped access level or renaming it “scoped”, as long as “private” once more denotes file-level visibility.

Imo opinions are split 50/50 on whether access levels should be file based or type based, it's endless debate.
What are the downsides of covering both cases? I.e. making private "visible in the current file and type extensions".
This concept is not that hard to teach and doesn't require complex and syntactically verbose access level systems.

Andrey