[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0159: Fix Private Access Levels

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 21:17:36 CDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 8:31 PM, Charles Srstka <cocoadev at charlessoft.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> stated goals? Well, one of the key goals of `private` was to allow members
>>> to be encapsulated within an extension, hidden even from the type being
>>> extended (and vice versa for members defined in the type). It says so in
>>> the first sentence of SE-0025. As seen above in my discussion with Charles
>>> Srstka, even supporters of `private` disagree with that motivation to begin
>>> with. The kicker is, _it also doesn't work_. Try, for instance:
>>>
>>> ```
>>> struct Foo {
>>>   private var bar: Int { return 42 }
>>> }
>>>
>>> extension Foo {
>>>   private var bar: Int { return 43 }
>>> }
>>> ```
>>>
>>> The code above should compile and does not. If I understood correctly
>>> the explanation from a core team member on this list, it's unclear if it
>>> can be made to work without changing how mangling works, which I believe
>>> impacts ABI and is not trivial at all. Thus, (a) even proponents of new
>>> `private` disagree on one of two key goals stated for new `private`; (b)
>>> that goal was never accomplished, and making it work is not trivial; (c) no
>>> one even complained about it, suggesting that it was a low-yield goal in
>>> the first place.
>>>

>>> Multiple people have already brought up cases in which they are using
>>> ‘private’. The repeated mention of another, unrelated use case that was
>>> mentioned in the SE-0025 proposal does not invalidate the real-world use
>>> cases which have been presented. In fact, it rather makes it appear as if
>>> the motivation to remove ‘private’ is based on a strange invocation of the
>>> appeal-to-authority fallacy, rather than an actual improvement to the
>>> language.
>>>

>> I'm not sure how to respond to this. SE-0025, as designed, is not fully
>> implemented. And as I said above, IIUC, it cannot be fully implemented
>> without ripping out a lot of mangling code that is unlikely to be ripped
>> out before Swift 4. _And there is no evidence that anyone cares about this
>> flaw; in fact, you are saying as much, that you do not care at all!_ If
>> this is not sufficient indication that the design of SE-0025 does not fit
>> with the overall direction of Swift, what would be?
>>

>> Because there are other uses cases for ‘private', *not* involving
>> extensions, which I *do* care about. The fact that part of the proposal was
>> badly written (and really, that’s all this is
>>

> Huh? The code above *should compile*--that is a primary aim for SE-0025.
> It does not compile and there is not a timeline (afaict) for its compiling.
> It does not bother you that the 25th proposal considered in the Swift
> evolution process, already once revised, is not fully implemented and may
> never be?
>

> Someone finding a bug/oversight in the compiler behavior does not compel
> me to throw out the baby with the bathwater, no.

You're not hearing the argument. No one "accidentally" included this design
as part of SE-0025; it's sentence number one. And no one just "forgot" to
make the code above work; it simply can't be accommodated by the current
mangling scheme. And--what's more--_no one seems to be bothered by it_. If
the first sentence of a proposal can't be implemented, and no one cares
(!), is the proposal fundamentally flawed or is it just some bug?