[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0159: Fix Private Access Levels

Rob Mayoff mayoff at dqd.com
Tue Mar 21 20:40:53 CDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 6:44 PM, Drew Crawford via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> A core team member (I'm blanking on who) has pointed out that, in the end,
> the only necessary access modifiers are public and not public (spelled
> "internal" in Swift).
>

> It is not clear to me how this squares with the decision in SE-0025 that
> other access modifiers were necessary.  Can you clarify?

I believe the reference is to this comment by Slava Pestov on 2017-02-16:

While we’re bikeshedding, I’m going to add my two cents. Hold on to your
> hat
> because this might be controversial here.
>
> I think both ‘private’ and ‘fileprivate’ are unnecessary complications
> that
> only serve to clutter the language.

It would make a lot more sense to just have internal and public only. No

https://www.mail-archive.com/swift-evolution@swift.org/msg21766.html