[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0159: Fix Private Access Levels

David Hart david at hartbit.com
Tue Mar 21 17:43:08 CDT 2017

> On 21 Mar 2017, at 21:59, Drew Crawford <drew at sealedabstract.com> wrote:
>
>>  The arguments for the revert are in the proposal and in the discussions in this thread.
>

> What is in the proposal and this thread are a set of opinions, e.g.
>
> * "the access level change of SE-0025 was met with dissatisfaction by a substantial proportion of the general Swift community."
> * "Those changes can be viewed as actively harmful,”
> * "it is extremely common to use several extensions within a file.”
> * “[existing regime] encourages overuse of scoped access control”
> * “[fileprivate is the] more reasonable default”
>
> I am asking for the arguments or evidence that led you or others to these opinions.  I understand that you and others believe them, but you understand that they are now a matter of debate. We are not going to reach any mutual understanding just asserting things we believe.  The underlying evidence is what would be necessary to convince others to our point of view.  I am trying to ascertain what that evidence is.
>
>> > It has pointed quite a few times by core team members that comparison to languages is not a very strong arguments,
>

> The context here is that you presented an argument that Swift’s “private” was confusing to users of other languages:
>
> > In most languages, that keyword is “private” so its valid to say that newcomers to the language will “default” to using that one.
>
> If you no longer think that argument is strong because it relies on a comparison to other languages, then we agree :-)  But in that case we lose an argument for this proposal.  The reason we are talking about other languages is because that was an argument advanced to support the proposal.

Excuse me, I did not express my point well. What I meant is that wanting a feature in Swift because it exists in another language has not been a very strong argument. But contrarily, making Swift familiar to users of other languages because it uses similar concepts or keywords is a different story. That’s why protected (a feature) is on the commonly rejected proposals list, because it doesn’t fit with Swift even though it exists in other languages. But, on the other hand, keywords like try/throws (syntax) have been used despite the fact that Swift doesn’t have exceptions specifically to feel familiar to newcomers.

In that regard, wanted the scoped-private private (feature) in Swift because other languages have it, seems to me like a weaker argument than the argument that the private keyword (syntax) brings familiarity.