[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0159: Fix Private Access Levels

James Berry jberry at rogueorbit.com
Tue Mar 21 11:39:25 CDT 2017

-1.

While I agree generally that access control in swift is not yet perfect, I feel strongly that any further reshaping of access control primitives should wait until a submodule design is in place. To do another zag on this issue at this point seems preliminary, tweaky, and almost capricious towards our users. The access primitives established by SE-0025 added further control. Some may not like the naming. But it seems to me that as we contemplate potential further shifts down the line with submodules, we’re better off starting from where we are today, at a higher level of specificity.

> On Mar 20, 2017, at 4:54 PM, Douglas Gregor <dgregor at apple.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Swift community,
>
> The review of SE-0159 "Fix Private Access Levels" begins now and runs through March 27, 2017. The proposal is available here:
>
> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0159-fix-private-access-levels.md <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0159-fix-private-access-levels.md>

> What is your evaluation of the proposal?
The proposal doesn’t to me meet the high hurdles for change in the swift 4 timeframe. The current situation isn’t broken or horrible. I believe the SE-0025 semantics better position us for any access level changes that may be required if submodules are adopted.

> Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
No

> Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
No

> If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
I feel this proposal goes in the wrong direction vis-a-vis expectations for access control.

> How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?
I’ve closely followed SE-0025 and SE-0159 discussions across the immense breadth of space and time they have consumed.