[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0159: Fix Private Access Levels

Colin Barrett colin at springsandstruts.com
Tue Mar 21 11:19:26 CDT 2017

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 7:54 PM Douglas Gregor <dgregor at apple.com> wrote:

> Hello Swift community,
>
> The review of SE-0159 "Fix Private Access Levels" begins now and runs
> through March 27, 2017. The proposal is available here:
>

> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0159-fix-private-access-levels.md
>
> Reviews are an important part of the Swift evolution process. All reviews
> should be sent to the swift-evolution mailing list at

> or, if you would like to keep your feedback private, directly to the
> review manager. When replying, please try to keep the proposal link at the
> top of the message:
>
> Proposal link:
>

> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0159-fix-private-access-levels.md
>
> Reply text
>
> Other replies
>

> <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/process.md#what-goes-into-a-review-1>What
> goes into a review?
>
> The goal of the review process is to improve the proposal under review
> through constructive criticism and, eventually, determine the direction of
> Swift. When writing your review, here are some questions you might want to
> answer in your review:
>
>    - What is your evaluation of the proposal?
>
> -1. The proposal does not make a convincing case for why this is a
problem.

>    - Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a
>    change to Swift?
>
> Having to write "fileprivate" seems like a pretty minor annoyance.
Especially when compared to having to move any desired private data to a
new file. In my view, the primary purpose of access modifiers below
internal is to keep autocomplete from suggesting implementation details to
clients.
,

>    - Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
>
> Given that in other places in Swift, scoping often corresponds with
lexical structure, making "private" an exception seems surprising.
"fileprivate" succinctly communicates this oddity.

>    - If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar
>    feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
>
> I've got a decent amount of experience with access control in Java,
Python, Haskell, and Standard ML.

>    - How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick
>    reading, or an in-depth study?
>
>  I read the proposal once. (I didn't have time to read the follow-ups
on-list, apologies for any noise.)