[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0159: Fix Private Access Levels

Drew Crawford drew at sealedabstract.com
Tue Mar 21 10:20:46 CDT 2017

On March 21, 2017 at 7:00:32 AM, Tino Heth (2th at gmx.de) wrote:

> If private is really more useful, should we remove fileprivate instead?
We don’t have to remove any access modifier.  They are all useful.

> Fact is, you can replace every occurrence of "private" with "fileprivate", and your source would compile as before, whereas fileprivate saves us from a "friend"-keyword.
This is certainly a source-breaking change.  Consider:

struct Foo {

    fileprivate func foo()->String {return "foo" }

    private func foo()->Int {return 2}

}

print("\(Foo().foo())")

Replacing “private” with “fileprivate” here will introduce a compile error.