[swift-evolution] Swift null safety questions

Elijah Johnson ejrx7753 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 08:27:14 CDT 2017

I still like the idea of shared memory, but since without additional
threading it can’t have write access inside the new process, I don’t think
that it is a solution for a webserver.

The main concern was just with developers using these universal exceptions
deliberately, along with “inconsistent states” and memory leaks.

So here’s a simple proposal:

func unsafeCatchFatalErrorWithMemoryLeak(_ block: ()->Void) -> FatalError?

What it does is execute the block, and when the fatalError function is
invoked (as is the case with logic errors), the fatalError checks some
thread local for the existence of this handler and performs a goto.
“unsafeCatchFatalErrorWithMemoryLeak” then returns a small object with the
error message. The can only be one per-call stack, and it leaks
deliberately leaks the entire stack from “fatalError” back down to
“unsafeCatchFatalErrorWithMemoryLeak”, and that is one reason why it is
labelled “unsafe” and “withMemoryLeak”.

The idea is that this is a function expressly for “high availability”
applications like web servers. The server will now have some leaked objects
posing no immediate danger, and some inconsistencies, primarily or entirely
inside the leaked objects (It is the developer’s responsibility how this is
used).

The “high availability sytem” is then expected to stop accepting incoming
socket connections, generate another instance of itself, handle any open
connections, and exit.

The interesting thing about this is that it is very easy to implement.
Being an unsafe function, it is not part of the language as a catch block
is, and doesn’t entirely preclude another solution in the future.