[swift-evolution] Code blocks and trailing closures

Rick Mann rmann at latencyzero.com
Mon Mar 20 17:54:04 CDT 2017

> On Mar 20, 2017, at 07:24 , Rien <Rien at balancingrock.nl> wrote:
>
> Another solution to the original problem would be to allow the parameter name of the closure outside the functions parenthesis:
>
> func test(a: Int, onError: ()->Void) {…}
>
> could be called like this:
>
> test(5) onError: { myErrorHandler() }

I don't think it improves the situation to do this. All this saves is a trailing closing parenthesis and a comma, and it doesn't seem any better than:

test(5, onError: { myErrorHandler() })

or

test(5,
     onError:
     {
         myErrorHandler()
     })

> Myself, I would like this. It makes clear what the closure is used for, and it potentially opens up the possibility to use multiple “parameter named closures” after the function call.
>
> It also makes it clear that this is a closure and not a code block belonging to a statement.
>
> I guess this must have been debated already… if so, why was it rejected?
>
> Regards,
> Rien
>
> Site: http://balancingrock.nl
> Blog: http://swiftrien.blogspot.com
> Github: http://github.com/Balancingrock
> Project: http://swiftfire.nl
>

>> On 20 Mar 2017, at 13:13, David Rönnqvist via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> Xcode can already draw boxes for nesting scopes, but it’s disabled by default. You’ll find it under: Editor > Code Folding > Focus Follows Selection.

I tend to agree features should not rely on editors. However, it seems that editor functionality does influence language and API design a lot. I don't have a specific example, but it's a feeling I've been getting lately.

In any case, that Xcode feature (focus follows selection) is interesting, but not really what I'm after. I don't want to see all scopes, I just want to see blocks called out, and I don't want to have to click to find them.