[swift-evolution] Code blocks and trailing closures

Rick Mann rmann at latencyzero.com
Mon Mar 20 01:22:53 CDT 2017

I actually don't like this situation, either. I find it gets a bit confusing to know what's a block and what's just nested scope. I, too, have had an impulse to have a different keyword for returning from a block, but what I really want is for the entire scope of the block to be called out differently.

This is true regardless of whether or not it's a trailing closure.

I wonder if the source editor (e.g. Xcode) could draw three sides of a box with arrows:

        some code                                  |
        more code                                  |

I don't know if this would quickly get messy and distracting. It would be challenging to find exactly the right way to draw it that pleases everyone (it should, obviously, be hyper-customizable, but Apple hates settings), and to draw it to make it easy to see what it's pointing to without trampling over end-of-line comments.

Maybe subtle highlighting of the background (all the way across the window) to show block, but that makes it harder to show nested blocks.