[swift-evolution] Smart KeyPaths

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Fri Mar 17 17:43:08 CDT 2017

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 5:17 PM, Michael LeHew <lehewjr at apple.com> wrote:
>

>>> On Mar 17, 2017, at 3:08 PM, Matthew Johnson <matthew at anandabits.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> On Mar 17, 2017, at 12:04 PM, Michael LeHew via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi friendly swift-evolution folks,
>>>
>>> The Foundation and Swift team  would like for you to consider the following proposal:
>>
>> This proposal is really incredible!  It is an invaluable addition to the language - far better than simple first-class properties.  I really can’t wait to see it implemented!  The design looks very solid.  I’m especially happy to see that a path to eventually get away from using classes has already been identified and planned for.
>>
>> Thank you so much for bringing this forward in Swift 4.  It is a wonderful (and rather unexpected) surprise!
>>
>> Seeing this makes me *really* wish we had a way to get at a collection of `PartialKeyPath<Self>` for all the (visible) properties of a type.  I guess the visible part of that makes it tricky.  We can always work around it in the meantime.
>
> We had discussed that a future application where KeyPath's would make a lot of sense is with the Mirror API.  Of course in the interest of the finiteness of time, we aren't pursuing that right now.
>
> One thing that gets interesting with the scope-restricted visibility of KeyPaths, is what happens if an fileprivate KeyPath gets leaked out of the file?  That's a scary/maybe useful thing?  But a complication that emerges pretty quick and thus another reason not to pursue that just now.

Yep, totally understand.  :)  The interaction with access control will definitely have some subtleties to consider.

Is the plan to allow a type to manually vend a KeyPath wider than the visibility of properties in the path?  It looks that way and that's probably the right call.

> [...]
>>>
>>> To get or set values for a given root and key path we effectively add the following subscripts to all Swift types.
>>>
>>> Swift
>>> extension Any {
>>>     subscript(path: AnyKeyPath) -> Any? { get }
>>>     subscript<Root: Self>(path: PartialKeyPath<Root>) -> Any { get }
>>>     subscript<Root: Self, Value>(path: KeyPath<Root, Value>) -> Value { get }
>>>     subscript<Root: Self, Value>(path: WritableKeyPath<Root, Value>) -> Value { set, get }
>>> }
>>> This allows for code like
>>>
>>> Swift
>>> person[.name] // Self.type is inferred
>>> which is both appealingly readable, and doesn't require read-modify-write copies (subscripts access self inout). Conflicts with existing subscripts are avoided by using generic subscripts to specifically only accept key paths with a Root of the type in question.
>>>
>>> Referencing Key Paths
>>>
>>> Forming a KeyPath borrows from the same syntax used to reference methods and initializers,Type.instanceMethod only now working for properties and collections. Optionals are handled via optional-chaining. Multiply dotted expressions are allowed as well, and work just as if they were composed via the appending methods on KeyPath.
>>>
>>> There is no change or interaction with the #keyPath() syntax introduced in Swift 3.
>>>
>>> Performance
>>>
>>> The performance of interacting with a property via KeyPaths should be close to the cost of calling the property directly.
>>>
>>> Source compatibility
>>> This change is additive and there should no affect on existing source.
>>>
>>> Effect on ABI stability
>>> This feature adds the following requirements to ABI stability:
>>>
>>> mechanism to access key paths of public properties
>>> We think a protocol-based design would be preferable once the language has sufficient support for generalized existentials to make that ergonomic. By keeping the class hierarchy closed and the concrete implementations private to the implementation it should be tractable to provide compatibility with an open protocol-based design in the future.
>>>
>>> Effect on API resilience
>>> This should not significantly impact API resilience, as it merely provides a new mechanism for operating on existing APIs.
>>>
>>> Alternatives considered
>>> More Features
>>>
>>> Various drafts of this proposal have included additional features (decomposable key paths, prefix comparisons, support for custom KeyPath subclasses, creating a KeyPath from a String at runtime, KeyPaths conforming to Codable, bound key paths as a concrete type, etc.). We anticipate approaching these enhancements additively once the core KeyPath functionality is in place.
>>>
>>> Spelling
>>>
>>> We also explored many different spellings, each with different strengths. We have chosen the current syntax due to the balance with existing function type references.

>>> Person.friends[0].name	#keyPath(Person, .friends[0].name)	`Person.friend.name
>>> luke[.friends[0].name]	#keyPath(luke, .friends[0].name)	luke`.friends[0].name