[swift-evolution] Group "typedef" language feature

Jaden Geller jaden.geller at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 19:19:41 CDT 2017

Swift already supports equivalent semantics to what you’re looking for, though conditional conformances are required for this to work with dictionaries and arrays too.

protocol JSONValueType { }
extension String: JSONValueType { }
extension Double: JSONValueType { }
extension Int: JSONValueType { }
extension Dictionary: JSONValueType where Key == String, Value: JSONValueType { }
extension Array: JSONValueType where Element: JSONValueType { }
extension Bool: JSONValueType { }

let data = [String : JSONValueType]()
data[key] = "value"

let b: String? = nil
let a: JSONValueType = b // error: value of optional type 'Optional<string>' not unwrapped

Cheers,
Jaden Geller