[swift-evolution] Swift null safety questions

Austin Zheng austinzheng at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 14:20:39 CDT 2017

If you want improved error handling, feel free to put together a proposal once Swift 4 phase 2 is over. A good proposal should take into account the reasons Swift's error handling was designed as it currently is (https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/ErrorHandlingRationale.rst <https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/ErrorHandlingRationale.rst>)

Otherwise, if you really need to build a web server framework that can swallow any sort of application logic without choking, perhaps Swift as it currently stands isn't the best tool for the job.

Best,
Austin

> [...]
>>
>> ex.
>>
>> func test( name : String?, name2 :String? ){
>>      name! , name2! {
>> // inside this block, “name” and “name2” are non-optional
>>     } else {
>>       // no forced unwrapping, just optional else case
>>    }
>> }
>>
>> Whereas the alternative (current optional binding), requires a re-definition of variables and an additional “if” operator. Besides the extra characters involved in typing and reading it, usually variables have specific names that the user does not want to augument.
>>
>> func test( name : String?, name2 :String? ){
>>     if let nameUnwrapped = name , let name2Unwrapped = name2 {
>>
>>     } else {
>>    }
>> }
>>
>> func test( name : String?, name2 :String? ){
>>     guard let nameUnwrapped = name , let name2Unwrapped = name2 else {
>>
>>     }
>>
>> }
>>
>> The fact that we don’t need a “nameUnwrapped” variable (which is unsightly and requires refractoring) is one thing that still makes forced unwrapping still very much a necessary or common part of Swift coding, even where it could be replaced with optional binding.
>>

>> On March 6, 2017 at 7:20:40 PM, Elijah Johnson (ejrx7753 at gmail.com <mailto:ejrx7753 at gmail.com>) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I’ve been recently considering Swift on the server-side, and there came up the question, “what happens when a null optional is forcibly unwrapped?” and the answer was clearly that not only would the request crash, but the entire server would also crash, since the server itself is/would be also written in Swift.
>>>
>>> I think that this highlights serveral weaknesses in Swift’s “null safety” attempts. The first is that there needs to be a way to isolate blocks of code so that a “null pointer exception” does not crash the system. I think it is fair to say, in the language of Java, that these are really “runtime exceptions” and for some reason are being treated as segmentation faults would be in C/C++. In my opinion, the existence of these things has the ability to bring Swift down below Java and closer to an unamanged language. Not really sure why it would ever be desireable, but in terms of server-side programming, it is definitely a serious issue.
>>>
>>> Secondly, Swift’s “null safety” is really completely undermined by these “force-unwrap” errors. I agree with the usage of new language features like guard, optional binding, etc to remove a null value, but I see this force-unwrap as extremely pervasive for a lot of reasons:
>>>
>>> 1. When porting code from a C style language to Swift, force-unwrap is needed to make the code work without refractoring.
>>> 2. XCode itself reccomends this operator and when it is used to satisfy a requirement, then it can be left in the code