[swift-evolution] Add a `clamp` function to Algorithm.swift

Nicholas Maccharoli nmaccharoli at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 20:35:46 CST 2017

I want to thank everyone so much for the feedback.

I really would like to propose a draft of this in the near future given
that
from reading this thread it seems that a good amount of people
seem to want a `clamp(to:)` function of some kind but are still not settled
on the exact implementation details.

To help keep the discussion moving forward I thought having this starting
draft of the
proposal up would help:

https://github.com/Nirma/swift-evolution/commit/a2d0c32c775704ad02fe406e6365bada7875c788

Please if you have a chance feel free to comment or add to it, after it
becomes a little more mature I
would like to start a draft proposal thread.

- Nick

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 6:29 PM, James Froggatt <james.froggatt at me.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 11 Mar 2017, at 00:21, James Froggatt <james.froggatt at me.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 11 Mar 2017, at 00:05, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Some days ago, Ben Cohen laid out the criteria for helper functions in
>> the Standard Library. Here's some of his very enlightening text and the six
>> criteria:
>>
>> The operation needs to carry its weight. Even once we have ABI stability,
>>> so the size of the std lib becomes less of a concern as it could ship as
>>> part of the OS, we still need to keep helper method growth under control.
>>> APIs bristling with methods like an over-decorated Xmas tree are bad for
>>> usability. As mentioned in the String manifesto, String+Foundation
>>> currently has over 200 methods/properties. Helpers are no good if you can’t
>>> find them to use them.
>>>

>>> 1. Is it truly a frequent operation?
>>> 2. Is the helper more readable? Is the composed equivalent obvious at a
>>> glance?
>>> 3. Does the helper have the flexibility to cover all common cases?