[swift-evolution] Add a `clamp` function to Algorithm.swift

James Froggatt james.froggatt at me.com
Fri Mar 10 18:21:53 CST 2017

> On 11 Mar 2017, at 00:05, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Some days ago, Ben Cohen laid out the criteria for helper functions in the Standard Library. Here's some of his very enlightening text and the six criteria:
>
>> The operation needs to carry its weight. Even once we have ABI stability, so the size of the std lib becomes less of a concern as it could ship as part of the OS, we still need to keep helper method growth under control. APIs bristling with methods like an over-decorated Xmas tree are bad for usability. As mentioned in the String manifesto, String+Foundation currently has over 200 methods/properties. Helpers are no good if you can’t find them to use them.
>
>> 1. Is it truly a frequent operation?
>> 2. Is the helper more readable? Is the composed equivalent obvious at a glance?
>> 3. Does the helper have the flexibility to cover all common cases?
>> 4. Is there a correctness trap with the composed equivalent? Is there a correctness trap with the helper?
>> 5. Is there a performance trap with the composed equivalent? Or with the helper?
>> 6. Does the helper actually encourage misuse?
>

> The reasons I'm opposed to adding `clamp` are as follows:
>
> It is trivially composed from `min` and `max`, with no correctness traps.
>
> As the discussion above shows, there are correctness traps when you have a `clamp` operation that takes open ranges, whereas the composed form using `min` and `max` does not suffer from the same issue.
>
> It encourages misuse, because Dave's desired use case (for indices) works *only* for arrays and falls down for collections. This is similar to the problem which motivates removal of `enumerated()` as discussed in other threads. In this case, it is not guaranteed that a collection with indices `0..<10` has an index 9.

You make a good point, but then how exactly did the range-clamping function make it into the standard library in the first place? I can't think of frequent reason to want to clamp a range to within another range putting my mind to it, yet a clamp function on the Bound type has uses with arrays and offers a clear improvement to readability. Then there's the (potential) correctness trap of mixing up min and max, which I find leads me to need to double-check the logic after typing.

Seeing those criteria just makes it all the more frustrating that the range-clamping version is the one to have made the cut.