[swift-evolution] Normalize Enum Case Representation (rev. 2)

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Thu Mar 9 15:53:15 CST 2017

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 7:09 PM, Daniel Duan via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Here’s revision 2 of SE-0155. I’d love some feedback before going into re-review.
>
> Note the “anonymous case” feature is not in this proposal. I found the motivation section difficult to write when it’s included. I’ve drafted a separate proposal that adds it.
>
> Rendered version: https://github.com/dduan/swift-evolution/blob/SE0155-rev2/proposals/0155-normalize-enum-case-representation.md <https://github.com/dduan/swift-evolution/blob/SE0155-rev2/proposals/0155-normalize-enum-case-representation.md>

You appear to have pasted a different version below from what's rendered at that link.

Some comments:

- Overloading seems like unnecessarily distracting scope creep. I would leave it out.

- Having `case leaf()` have type Tree is IMO more surprising than making it equivalent to `case leaf`. It should either behave as if it were a method, or be banned outright. We don't need two ways to spell the same thing.

-Joe