[swift-evolution] Normalize Enum Case Representation (rev. 2)

Daniel Duan daniel at duan.org
Thu Mar 9 02:17:15 CST 2017

> On Mar 9, 2017, at 12:06 AM, David Hart <david at hartbit.com> wrote:
>

>> On 9 Mar 2017, at 08:07, Daniel Duan via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the thoughtful feed Xiaodi! Replies are inline. I'm going to incorporate some of the responses into the proposal.
>>
>>> On Mar 8, 2017, at 9:56 PM, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The rendered version differs from the text appended to your message. I'll assume the more fully fleshed out version is what you intend to submit. Three comments/questions:
>>>
>>> Enum Case "Overloading"
>>>
>>> An enum may contain cases with the same full name but with associated values of different types. For example:
>>>
>>> enum Expr {
>>>     case literal(Bool)
>>>     case literal(Int)
>>> }
>>> The above cases have overloaded constructors, which follow the same rules as functions at call site for disambiguation:
>>>
>>> // It's clear which case is being constructed in the following.
>>> let aBool: Expr = .literal(false)
>>> let anInt: Expr = .literal(42)
>>> User must specify an as expression in sub-patterns in pattern matching, in order to match with such cases:
>>>
>>> case .literal(let value) // this is ambiguous
>>> case .literal(let value as Bool) // matches `case literal(Bool)`
>>>
>>> Comment/question 1: Here, why aren't you proposing to allow `case .literal(let value: Bool)`? For one, it would seem to be more consistent.
>>
>> The example in proposal doesn't include any labels. Are you suggesting two colons for sub-patterns with labels? Like `case .literal(value: let value: Bool)`?  This looks jarring. But I'm definitely open to other suggestions.
>
> No, I think he was proposing replicating variable declaration syntax, where the colon is used preceding the type (instead of using as):
>
> let value: Bool = ...

We'd still need a way for user to bind a matching value to a name other than the label... I do realize that this would not be a problem if we drop the mandate that label must appear _somewhere_ in the pattern. Hmmm

> [...]
>>
>>> Also, since enum cases are to be like functions, I assume that the more verbose `as` version would work for free: `case .literal(let value) as (Bool) -> Expr`?
>>>

>> This is not being proposed. When a user sees/authors a case, their expectation for the declared case constructor should resemble that of a function. Pattern matching was considered separately since it's not relatable syntactically.
>>> Alternative Payload-less Case Declaration
>>>
>>> In Swift 3, the following syntax is valid:
>>>
>>> enum Tree {
>>>     case leaf() // the type of this constructor is confusing!
>>> }
>>> Tree.leaf has a very unexpected type to most Swift users: (()) -> Tree
>>>
>>> We propose this syntax declare the "bare" case instead. So it's going to be the equivalent of
>>>
>>> enum Tree {
>>>     case leaf // `()` is optional and does the same thing.
>>> }
>>>

>>> Comment/question 2: First, if associated values are not to be modeled as tuples, for backwards compatibility the rare uses of `case leaf()` should be migrated to `case leaf(())`.
>>>
>> Yes, and when user uses a arbitrary name when they should have used a label, or when labels are misspelled, the compiler should suggest the correct labels. I wasn't sure how much of migrator related thing should go into a proposal. Perhaps there should be more.
>>> Second, to be clear, you are _not_ proposing additional sugar so that a case without an associated value be equivalent to a case that has an associated value of type `Void`, correct? You are saying that, with your proposal, both `case leaf()` and `case leaf` would be regarded as being of type `() -> Tree` instead of the current `(()) -> Tree`?
>>>
>> Correct. I'm _not_ proposing implicit `Void`.
>>> [The latter (i.e. `() -> Tree`) seems entirely fine. The former (i.e. additional sugar for `(()) -> Tree`) seems mostly fine, except that it would introduce an inconsistency with raw values that IMO is awkward. That is, if I have `enum Foo { case bar }`, it would make case `bar` have implied associated type `Void`; but, if I have `enum Foo: Int { case bar }`, would case `bar` have raw value `0` of type `Int` as well as associated value `()` of type `Void`?]
>>>

>>> Pattern Consistency
>>>
>>> (The following enum will be used throughout code snippets in this section).
>>>
>>> indirect enum Expr {
>>>     case variable(name: String)
>>>     case lambda(parameters: [String], body: Expr)
>>> }
>>> Compared to patterns in Swift 3, matching against enum cases will follow stricter rules. This is a consequence of no longer relying on tuple patterns.
>>>
>>> When an associated value has a label, the sub-pattern must include the label exactly as declared. There are two variants that should look familiar to Swift 3 users. Variant 1 allows user to bind the associated value to arbitrary name in the pattern by requiring the label:

>>> case .variable(x: let x) // compile error; there's no label `x`
>>> case .lambda(parameters: let params, body: let body) // Okay
>>> case .lambda(params: let params, body: let body) // error: 1st label mismatches
>>> User may choose not to use binding names that differ from labels. In this variant, the corresponding value will bind to the label, resulting in this shorter form:
>>>
>>> case .variable(let name) // okay, because the name is the same as the label
>>> case .lambda(let parameters, let body) // this is okay too, same reason.
>>> case .variable(let x) // compiler error. label must appear one way or another.