[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0157: Support recursive constraints on associated types

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Wed Mar 8 17:46:34 CST 2017

On Feb 28, 2017, at 13:40, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com <mailto:rjmccall at apple.com>> wrote:

> Hello Swift community,
>
> The review of SE-0157 "Support recursive constraints on associated types" begins now and runs through next Wednesday, March 8, 2017. The proposal is available here:
>
> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0157-recursive-protocol-constraints.md <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0157-recursive-protocol-constraints.md>
> What is your evaluation of the proposal?
10/10, would vote for again.

I'm pretty sure the first non-trivial thing I tried to do in Swift involved butting up against this limitation, and then trying to find a way around it. And one of the first things I do when a new version comes out is check if anything's changed WRT this (well, it used to be… with Swift being open-source now, things are less surprising).

> Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
Yep

> Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
Yep
> If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
N/A
> How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?
Two quick readings.

- Dave Sweeris