[swift-evolution] [Manifesto] Ownership

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Mon Mar 6 18:21:17 CST 2017

I ran into this exact issue today.  Would something like inout returns help to fix it?

I have a struct called StyledString which gets rid of much of the frustration of dealing with NSAttributedStrings in Swift.  Basically, you make selections on the string and set some property of it like so:

	styled.paragraph(2).words(3…7).bold = true

and then at the end, you ask for an attributed string:

	myLabel.attributedText = styled.attributedString

The language I originally designed this for (almost 20 years ago) had a special type of function (called a selector) which could be in the middle of a chain of calls, but not at the end of it… which avoided the problem you are talking about here.  In Swift, I basically have a note in the documentation saying not to store the selections in a variable… but that is not ideal.

It would be nice to have a way to say that the return value is not allowed to be stored (only called as part of a chain).  This would allow mutable views without the issue of them breaking value semantics.

Thanks,
Jon