[swift-evolution] [Draft] A Consistent Foundation For Access Control: Scope-Bounded Capabilities

Daniel Leping daniel at crossroadlabs.xyz
Fri Mar 3 05:23:10 CST 2017

General impression is positive in case shortcuts (private, bulblic) still
remain for the most common use cases.

On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 at 21:58 Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> [...]
> it is not true in Swift 3.
>
> private struct Foo {
>     private var bar = 42
> }
>

> <https://github.com/anandabits/swift-evolution/blob/scope-bounded-capabilities/proposals/NNNN-scope-bounded-capabilities.md#an-advanced-feature>An
> advanced feature
>
> Lexically scoped availability has important uses such as preserving
> invariants. All access to invariant-related state can be routed through
> basis methods which access the state carefully without violating
> invariants, even when that access happens in an extension in the same file.
> We should not abandon this tool but it should not be the "soft default". It
> is best reserved for specific use cases where the guarantee it offers is
> important to correctess of the software.
>
> <https://github.com/anandabits/swift-evolution/blob/scope-bounded-capabilities/proposals/NNNN-scope-bounded-capabilities.md#essential-and-inessential-complexity>Essential
> and inessential complexity
>
> The inconsistencies noted above and a bad "soft default" of private are
> all forms of *inessential* complexity. This makes Swift's access control
> system more difficult to understand and use than it needs to be and causes
> confusion.
>
> At the same time the *essential* complexity of capabilities that are
> bounded independent of basic symbol availability is not explicitly
> acknowledged and embraced. This also makes the access control system more
> difficult to understand and use than it should be. Users are not taught to
> think in terms of independently bounded capabilities. This is a concept
> that *could* be learned once and applied generally if it was more visible
> in the language.
>
> <https://github.com/anandabits/swift-evolution/blob/scope-bounded-capabilities/proposals/NNNN-scope-bounded-capabilities.md#proposed-solution>Proposed
> solution
>
> The proposed solution is to establish a semantic foundation for access
> control that is *simple* in the sense of composing rather than
> interleaving independent concerns. The solution is made *easy* by
> defining familiar names in terms of this foundation while preserving the
> semantics Swift users expect them to have. It is *consistent* in its use
> of a single mechanism for bounding capabilities and its default of
> internal for *all* capabilities.
>
> <https://github.com/anandabits/swift-evolution/blob/scope-bounded-capabilities/proposals/NNNN-scope-bounded-capabilities.md#scope-bounded-capabilities>Scope-bounded
> capabilities
>
> All access control is defined in terms of a parameterized access modifier
> that allows the user to specify a capability and a scope that bounds that
> capability.
>
> // The scope of the setter is the current file.scope(set, file) var foo = 42
>
> Here I suggest a bit different API to make it very distinct on which
capability gets which access. Instead of ',' use ':'

scope(set: file) vat foo = 42

Each parameter has a default argument. The default argument for the