[swift-evolution] [Draft] scope-based submodules

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Thu Mar 2 15:03:33 CST 2017

> [...]
>
> Could you explain this in more detail?
>
>> 4. There are no special facilities for renaming submodules or implicitly importing submodules.
>>
>>> Importing submodules
>>>
>>> Submodules are imported in exactly the same way as an external module by using an import statement.
>>
>> Okay, but what exactly does importing *do*? Set up un-prefixed private aliases for the submodule's internal-and-up APIs?
>>
>>> There are a few additional details that are not applicable for external modules:
>>>
>>>    • Circular imports are not allowed.
>>
>> Why not? In this design, all submodules are evaluated at once, so I'm not sure why circular imports would be a problem.
>>
>>> // `Grandparent` and all of its descendents can see `Child1` (fully qualified: `Grandparent.Parent.Child1`)
>>> // This reads: `Child1` is scoped to `Grandparent`.
>>>
>>> scoped(Grandparent) export Child1
>>>
>>> // `Child2` is visible throughout the module but may not be exported for use by clients.
>>> // This reads: `Child2` is scoped to the module.
>>>
>>> scoped(module) export Child2
>>>
>>> With parameterization, scoped has the power to specify all access levels that Swift has today:
>>>
>>> `scoped`                                      == `private` (Swift 3)
>>> `scoped(file)`                                == `private` (Swift 2 & 4?) == `fileprivate` (Swift 3)
>>> `scoped(submodule)`                           == `internal`
>>> `scoped(public) scoped(internal, inherit)`*   == `public`
>>> `scoped(public)`                              == `open`
>>>
>>> The parameterization of scoped also allows us to reference other scopes that we cannot in today’s system, specifically extensions: scoped(extension) and outer types: scoped(TypeName).
>>
>> What is the purpose of creating more verbose aliases for existing access levels? I can't think of one, which means that these are redundant.
>>
>> And if we remove them as redundant, the remaining access control levels look like:
>>
>>    scoped
>>    private
>>    scoped(TypeName)
>>    internal
>>    scoped(SomeModule)
>>    scoped(module)
>>    scoped(extension)
>>    public
>>    open
>>
>> There's just no logic to the use of the `scoped` keyword here—it doesn't really mean anything other than "we didn't want to assign a keyword to this access level".
>>
>> ***
>>
>> I think we need to go back to first principles here. The reason to introduce a new access level is that we believe that a submodule is a large enough unit of code that it will simultaneously need to encapsulate some of its implementation details from other submodules, *and* have some of its own implementation details encapsulated from the rest of the submodule.
>
> That's where I disagree. Why would Swift need that level of differentiation and not C# or Java, which have had packages and namespaces without it.

Need is a relative thing.  There are many languages that succeed without many of the features Swift has and many languages that succeed partly because of features Swift does not have.

Learning from other languages is a good thing, but in the end the goal is to make Swift the best language it can be.  In many cases that happens when we carefully consider our options and find a solution that in some cases is unique.

I am happy that Swift doesn’t follow the example of C# and Java too closely.  There are things we can learn from them but also many things we *don’t* want to learn from them.  Introducing namespaces without scope boundaries would be a mistake IMO.