[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Typed throws

Karl Wagner razielim at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 11:55:12 CST 2017

> On 28 Feb 2017, at 18:00, Matthew Johnson <matthew at anandabits.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 28, 2017, at 10:44 AM, Daniel Leping <daniel at crossroadlabs.xyz <mailto:daniel at crossroadlabs.xyz>> wrote:
>>
>> Mathew, I totally understand what you're talking about. And this is exactly what I want to avoid.
>>
>> If a library developer knows how to handle certain case (i.e. recover or throw a special error) I'm ok with it. Though I'm not ok with completely hiding errors from the underlying implementation. The library developer might not handle EVERYTHING. I want to know what happened and where. Otherwise I will have to explicitly debug his library to find out what the issue is. In most cases I will not have time to wait developer fixing the library. I will fix it myself and make PR. So I consider tranparent errors rather a benefit.
>>
>> Hiding errors under library errors might have worked for proprietary middleware. Today the world changed. It's open source now.
>
> I agree with you that having *access* to the original error is important and that a library should not be expected to handle every case.  I hope I have not said anything that suggests otherwise.
>
> What I’m suggesting is that if the error originated in a dependency that might change it should be wrapped in a stable abstraction that the users of the library can depend on.  The underlying error should still be available via a property or associated value exposed with an existential type.  If you expect users to catch errors thrown by a dependency that might change you have a fragile API contract in the area of errors.
>
> This can easily lead to unreliable software - when you change the dependency nothing alerts users to the fact that their error handling code is probably broken.  Even if the compiler told them it was broken, they now have the burden of learning about the errors that might come from your new dependency.  An API that could lead to this consequence is badly designed IMO.
>
> I even suggested adding a new requirement to `Error` that includes a default implementation to standardize how we access wrapped errors, including the originating error underneath all wrapper layers.

I don’t see that it’s such a big problem. There are lots of ways to expose the information once we have it, and it could easily be limited to public errors from the current module (substituting private/unbound errors with an erasing “Error”). There are lots of small improvements we could make: such as having functions which re-throw errors from other, manually documented functions inherit their documentation (or at least appear to, when viewed). That would not be totally compiler-generated documentation, but would mean you can document your errors in one place and make doing so much more palatable. :

// Manual documentation in one place:

/// - throws: X, Y, Z
func doSomething() throws { … }

// Inherited by functions which call it and rethrow its errors:

/// [generated]: - throws: X, Y, X
func doSomethingExtended() throws {
    try doSomething()
}

/// [generated]: - throws: X, Y, Z
func doSomethingMapped() throws {
    // (call to rethrowing function ‘map’) -> (throwing closure expression) -> (call to throwing function “doSomething”, maybe others, too...) -> X, Y, Z
    try [1, 2, 3].map { try doSomething() }
}

Personally, I don’t like wrapping. I like error-handling to be flat at each level because it’s much easier to reason about. You would basically need catch on "error as? MyError” and “error.underlyingError as? MyError”, duplicating code or forwarding them to a refactored handler function. Also, consider that an Error might be any type at all (including a class). If any instance of a thing which conforms to Error could potentially be holding a reference-counted pointer, that could limit optimisations. If it’s flat, we can potentially prove that it has an exact type (or at least is never reference-counted), and that could be valuable.

Error-contracts in libraries are only really fixed in the case of an implementation which is never going to change substantially. In that case, the function is a possible candidate for @inlineable and can be treated as though part of the client’s module, with full error-flow intelligence.

- Karl