[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Typed throws

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 11:08:45 CST 2017

On 28.02.2017 19:48, Matthew Johnson wrote:

>>> Fwiw, I think wrapping errors is something that people are sometimes going
>>> to want to do regardless of whether they are typed or not.  Maybe the
>>> solution is to better support wrapping errors by focusing on the problems
>>> that wrapping causes.  For example, we could do something like this to make
>>
>> Just to clarify, do you think about something like this? :
>> (pseudocode, sorry for mistakes)
>
> Is the question about the ability to create `fullErrorStackDescription`?  Yes, that would certainly be possible to implement in an extension.
>
> I’m not sure why your examples use `rethrow` to rethrow the error instead of `throw`.  Was that a mistake?
>
> I also want to reiterate that deciding when and how to wrap errors is something that requires careful thought and judgment.  The goal is to provide a stable and ergonomic way for callers to learn about and handle errors they are likely to care about.  There will often be an “everything else” case and that’s ok.
>
> As others have pointed out, the important thing is that it is easy to identify cases where I can *improve* UX by recovery or specific messaging to the user.  The fact that there will usually be a default path is a given, but it’s best to avoid that path if possible.

Well, I was trying to figure out how the some code could looks like with
typed throws, taking into account your suggestion about built-in
underlyingError and originalError props in Error protocol and the idea of
"Maybe the solution is to better support wrapping errors by focusing on the
problems that wrapping causes".
As for 'rethrow' it is not a mistake, but hypothetical use of the keyword
to rethrow underlying error inside own error without boilerplate code, i.e.
"better support wrapping", compare:

catch let e {
   // need to somehow inject the current e instance into our error instance
   // (or with some other syntax)
   throw BarError.fooRelatedError(SomeType1(), underlying: e)
}

and

catch {
   // 'rethrow' can clearly say that the current error instance will be
injected
   // into our own error instance in underlyingError prop. we focuse only
   // on our own error instance
   rethrow fooRelatedError(SomeType1())
}

Sorry for not clarifying all this in first message.