[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Typed throws

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Mon Feb 27 17:12:14 CST 2017

> On Feb 27, 2017, at 5:01 PM, Dave Abrahams <dabrahams at apple.com> wrote:
>

> on Mon Feb 27 2017, Matthew Johnson <matthew-AT-anandabits.com> wrote:
>
>>> On Feb 27, 2017, at 4:20 PM, Dave Abrahams <dabrahams at apple.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> I'm sorry, I don't see any substantive difference, based on what you've
>>> written here, between this feature and const.
>>
>> Let me give it one more shot and then I’ll drop it.  :)
>>
>> Const is viral because if an API does not declare its arguments const
>> it cannot be used by a caller who has a const argument.
>
> Unless the caller casts away const, thus erasing information that was
> previously encoded in the type system.

Yes, of course.

>> It is required in order to make an API as generally useful as
>> possible.
>>
>> Typed errors are not viral in this way because no callers are
>> prevented from calling an API regardless of whether it declares error
>> types or just throws Error like we have today.
>
> Unless the caller can recover (which is *very* rare) or it catches and
> rethrows one of the errors *it* declares, thus erasing information that
> was previously encoded in the type system.

I view this as being fundamentally different than casting away const.  Casting away const says “I know better than the types”.

Converting an error to a different type is extremely different.  It much more similar to any other kind of value wrapper a library might create in order to shield its users from being coupled to its implementation details / dependencies.  This is not a way *around* the type system in the sense that casting away const is.  It is a way of *using* the type system (hopefully) to your advantage.