[swift-evolution] Pitch: Compound name `foo(:)` for nullary functions

Jacob Bandes-Storch jtbandes at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 13:38:59 CST 2017

This is clean, but given knowledge of foo(bar:) syntax, its discoverability
is low. Conversely, given knowledge of `foo()`, the discoverability of
foo(bar:) would be low compared to `foo(bar:)`.

If backticks were the *only* option, and also worked as `foo(bar:)`, the
consistency would be appealing. Although then if you had a function name
which needed backticks,  `foo`(bar:) would have to continue working, I
suppose, so only allowing `foo(bar:)` isn't feasible.

I imagine this would make for some very nice code completion, though —
`foo(#^...^#  could suggest the names of all the foo variants.