[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Guarded self in closures

Anton Mironov antonvmironov at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 17:06:37 CST 2017

-1
I support improvements in this area but I do not think that adding guarded closures will fix the case.
It raises multiple concerns:
- prepending ? to the closure declaration is as forgettable as `[weak self]`
- reactive programming often assumes chaining of operations. How guarded closures affect next operations in the chain?
- the closure must exist until either the control deallocates (source of actions) or self deallocates (destination of actions). Guarded closure will not provide an expected behavior
- managing lifecycle of nested guarded closures could be complex to understand and implement into the language
- why would you consider using @escaping instead of @guarded?

I personally prefer doing something like this:

```swift
self.button.onAction(forEvents: [.touchUpInside], context: self) { (self, sender, event) in
	self.performSearch(query: self.searchField.text)
}
```

or

```swift
self.button.actions(forEvents: [.touchUpInside])
    .debounce(interval: 3.0)
    .map(context: self) { (self, _) in
        return self.searchField.text
    }
    .distinct()
    .onUpdate(context: self) { (self, searchQuery) in
        self.performSearch(query: searchQuery)
    }
```

This code neither requires an addition of language features nor contains retain cycles. All closures will be released as soon as source or destination deallocates.